The Native Canadian Centre of Toronto (NCCT) is a non-profit, charitable organization located in the heart of downtown Toronto. The NCCT offers a wide range of Indigenous programs and services based on Indigenous cultural traditions and teachings.
Job Title: Cedar Basket Youth Enterprise Sales Associate Trainee
Employment Term, Salary & Work Hours: October 2, 2019 to December 29, 2019 (12 weeks)
$14.00/hour; 35 hours/week
Department: Youth Program
Direct Report: Cedar Basket Youth Enterprise Coordinator Position Summary: The Cedar Basket Youth Enterprise Sales Associate Trainee position was created to give Indigenous youth an opportunity to gain retail experience. To perform this job successfully you must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Welcome customers by greeting them and offering assistance
• Advise customers by providing information on products
• Help customers make selections by building customer confidence and offering suggestions and/or opinions
• Document sales through the Easy Cash Point of Sales software
• Responsible for processing cash and card payments
• Balance cash registers with daily receipts
• Be involved in stock control and management
• Inform Cedar Basket Youth Enterprise Coordinator of needed merchandise based on the sale of products
• Stock the store with merchandise and perform inventory checks on the store • Attach price tags to products in the store
• Keep the shop tidy and clean on a daily basis (dust, mop, wipe down etc.)
• Watch for shoplifters and fraudulent credit cards
• Operate booths at craft fairs, pow wows, etc (may involve weekends/extra hours)
• Contributes to the team by completing related tasks as required
• Must be registered with and qualify under Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training criteria
• Must be registered and working with an employment counsellor at Miziwe Biik
• Knowledge of Indigenous culture, traditions and community
• Knowledge or interest in customer service, retail and/or social enterprise
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
• Must not have taken any paid Employment Training Services with a social service agency
The Cedar Basket Youth Enterprise Sales Associate Trainee position has regular hours 10:00 am to 6:00 pm except Thursday (culture night) when the store will be open from 12:00 pm until 8:00 pm. Saturdays are all optional. Physical requirements: You may need to lift boxes upon the arrival of new orders, sweeping the floors and general maintenance.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute positively to the implementation of the NCCT’s vision and mission, operate in a collaborative team setting and maintain high and professional productivity levels and quality of service.
This is a contract position. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Although preference will be given to Indigenous applicants (First Nations, Metis and Inuit), all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
If this position interests you, please submit your resume and a cover letter to:
Cedar Basket Youth Enterprise Coordinator
Posted until filled
SUBJECT LINE:NCCT – Cedar Basket Youth Enterprise Sales Associate Trainee